Friday, March 11, 2011

Sermon for March 13: "Each for the Other, for the Gospel" (Col 3:18-19) Part 2

Please pray for our time on Sunday morning as we consider the role husbands play in magnifying the Lord Jesus Christ in marriage. In short, husbands are called to love their wives like Christ loved the church. That is radical love, to say the least.

But the power to carry thru the self-denial, daily/monthly/yearly dying that will be required in loving an imperfect spouse comes from a hope-giving/soul-sustaining/superior satisfaction in Christ.

Words by Temple Gairdner of Cairo a century ago express this. On the eve of his wedding, he wrote this prayer: That I may come near to her, draw me nearer to Thee than to her; that I may know her, make me to know Thee more than her; that I may love her with the perfect love of a perfectly whole heart, cause me to love Thee more than her

No comments:

Post a Comment