Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Self-centered Person: The Mythological Center of the Universe

I've been following at a distance a certain Hollywood celebrity who seems to be self-destructing before our very eyes. You could say this is due to drugs; but I think any drug use that may be present is merely symptomatic of a deeper issue for this person. He is self-absorbed and this is in diametrical conflict with the Triune God who made us. Hear the words of Tim Keller in his most recent book:
A self-centered person wants to be the center around which everything else orbits. I might help people; I might have friends... I might even give to the poor—as long as it makes me feel good about myself... Self-centeredness makes everything else a means to an end….The Trinity is utterly different. Instead of self-centeredness the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are characterized in their very essence by mutually self-giving love. No person in the Trinity insists that the other revolve around him; rather each of them voluntarily circles and orbits around the others. If this is ultimate reality, if this is what the God who made the universe is like…, relationships of love are what life is really all about (King’s Cross, 8-9).

Truth be told, I sadly see some of me in this self-centered, prideful actor.However, the tri-personal love of God, where the persons of the Trinity selflessly bring about the display of each other's glory, teaches us that selflessness and mutual love is where real life is found. Everything else is mythological and leads to disfunction.

No comments:

Post a Comment