Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Gospel Rewires Our Sense of Felt Need

One of the things I've noticed about my children is their difficulty in discerning the difference between need and want. As they mature, hopefully that difficulty is diminished. And hopefully, as well, their wants begin to change as well.

In the same way, when we are regenerated and converted to Jesus Christ, we begin the pilgrimage of sanctification and a very real aspect of sanctification is that our perceived needs begin to change. That's why I as a preacher do not like to preach at the felt needs level. Often felt needs are mere symptoms of unfelt idols of the heart. But in Christ, who is now our identity, we no longer need to be consumed by the craving to be loved, to make money, to be comfortable, to be beautiful, to be successful, to control our world, etc.

To be sure, upon our conversion, our maverick desires don't just give up on the spot. There is an inner battle (Galatians 5:16-17). But by God's mercy, we begin the journey of deeply longing for the kinds of things that wise men long for in the psalms and prayers of the Bible. The mastery and dominion of previous longings for love, achievement, entertainment, illicit pleasures, self preoccupation, and other inordinate and misplaced wants are overthrown by grace.

Here's the good news: God in his wisdom and love doesn't gratify our sinful, instinctive longings. He forgives them, and then changes what we most want. This is one facet of the gospel taught in the Bible.

Because the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, we begin to feel and sense a different set of needs when God comes into view. As David Powlison points out ("The Therapeutic Gospel"), instinctual cravings begin to be replaced (sometimes quickly, always gradually) by the growing awareness of true, life-and-death needs. In the process, my awareness of my needs and my wants change:

I need mercy above all else: "Lord, have mercy on me." "For Your name's sake, pardon my iniquity for it is very great."

I want to learn wisdom, and unlearn willful self-preoccupation: "Nothing you desire compares with her."

I need to learn to love both God and neighbor: "The goal of our instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith."

I long for God's name to be honored, for his kingdom to come, for his will to be done on earth, for his whole church to be glorified together.

I want Christ's glory and lovingkindness and goodness to be seen on earth, to fill the earth as obviously as water fills the ocean.

I need God to be my refuge and deliverer, setting me free from enemies, sufferings, sorrows, death, temptations.

I long for the Lord to wipe away all tears.

I need God to change me from who I am by instinct, choice, and practice.

I want him to deliver me from my obsessive self-righteousness, to slay my lust for self-vindication, so that I feel my need for the mercies of Christ, so that I learn to treat others gently.

I need God's mighty and intimate help in order to will and to do those things that last unto eternal life, rather than squandering my life on vanities.

I want to learn how to endure hardship and suffering in hope, having my faith simplified, deepened, and purified.

I need to learn, to listen, to worship, to delight, to trust, to give thanks, to cry out, to take refuge, to obey, to serve, to hope.

I want to attain the resurrection to eternal life: "We groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body."

I need God himself: "Show me your glory." "Maranatha. Come, Lord Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment