Friday, July 29, 2011

Sermon for July 31: "3 Portraits of Jesus: A Deliverer, a Healer, and a Preacher" (Luke 4:31-44)

Please be in prayer for our service Sunday as we consider a day in the life of Jesus Christ, the Anointed One, the Son of God. We will see that this narrative in Luke 4:31-44 directly follows Jesus' sermon where he promises that he is ushering in the "year of the Lord's favor" (4:19). This is nothing less than the Day of Salvation promised by Isaiah (49:8).

What Jesus is doing is making all things new (Rev 21:5). Luke begins to evidence this by describing 3 aspects of Jesus' earthly ministry: he came as a deliverer, a healer, and a preacher of the kingdom.

Today as I write this, it has special significance for me because on this day, 34 years ago, Jesus made me new by forgiving me of my sins as I repented and believed in his finished work for my salvation. I was a 9 year old boy.

All of Jesus' miracles in the physical world reflect in their own way what will happen, not only cosmically, but also spiritually to a sinner when he/she repents and believes.

The miracles also signal a day when our mortal, dishonorable, natural, weak bodies will be raised from the grave by the power of the Spirit and Word of Christ; and these perishable bodies will "put on the imperishable" (15:35-54).

"Then shall come to pass the saying that is writeen: 'Death is swallowed up in victory."' 'O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?'" (15:54b-55).

In short: come Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment