Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Legitimate Desires Versus Ruling Desires

Have you ever wondered why you may often respond in a frustrated or even heated way when things do not go as you planned or desired? James tells us: James 4:2You desire and do not have so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel.

One of the things that makes us human is that we are always desiring: desires precede, determine, and characterize everything we do. It gets us up in the morning and makes us work with discipline. Furthermore, behind all worship, whether true or false, is a heart full of desire.

So let’s qualify this: James doesn’t say it’s wrong to desire. To stop desiring is impossible because to desire is human.

But when our desires aren’t shaped by the kingdom of God; but rather for something in creation (which may be something actually good), there are only 2 ways I can respond. If you’re helping me get what I want, I’ll be happy with you. But if you stand in my way, I will be angry, frustrated, and discouraged when I am with you.

The problem in that case isn’t the situation; the problem is that a legitimate desire has taken over my heart and is now in control. It has become an inordinate desire. So for an easy example it’s not wrong to desire relaxation at the end of the day; it is wrong to be ruled by relaxation in such a way that I’m irritated with anyone who gets in the way of it.

The morphing of my desire to “demand” changes my relationship to others. Now I enter the room loaded with a silent demand: You must help me get what I want. If you are an obstacle, I will immediately be angry and impatient with you.

As Ed Welch asserts: It is when desires are elevated to demands that there are detectable...idols in our lives. It is when desires become demands that we are more concerned about "our" desires than the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment